Banana Cupcakes with Maple Brown Butter Frosting

Hey everyone!

Guess what!?? When you Google "flourless chicken tenders" my blog is the #1 top link out of 31,900 results! It totally made my day. So THANK YOU to every reader. And please please please give me feedback!

So this is my first ever recipe modification! What I did was I took a normal recipe and adapted it for food allergies.



Ming's Cupcake
 If any one of you has every used StumbleUpon and has "liked" many recipe websites, you've stumbled upon Ming Makes Cupcakes. Well, that's what happened to me. I stumbled upon her website and fell in love with every cupcake; they all look so tasty!
I had my eye on Cupcake 6: the banana cupcakes with maple brown butter frosting. Doesn't it just sound delicious!? So I decided I wanted one.
At this point I've baked enough to know some pretty good substitutions, so I substituted the milk, eggs, and gluten flour and this is what I got: (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how fan-freaking-tastic it is)

So what I'll do is write out the original ingredients and next to it I'll put what I used if I changed it.

Banana Cupcakes with Maple Brown Butter Frosting: Milk, egg, soy, nut, fish, and gluten/wheat free.

Cupcake Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mashed bananas (I think it's about 3 bananas)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I used a tablespoon of maple syrup instead)
  • 1 1/2 cup flour (I used the mix that I always use: 6 cups = 2 cups brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cup potato starch, 2/3 cup tapioca flour/starch or you could use arrowroot powder if you can't have tapioca. Because it's gluten free you'll need about 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 stick butter (I used Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Spread)
  • 1 cup sugar (I used cane sugar)
  • 1 jumbo egg (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of Ener-G's Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons of rice milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk (just used 3/4 cup rice milk)
  • (I decided to add in some nutmeg and cinnamon too. I just added it until I liked how it tasted. Probably about 1/2 teaspoon each... possibly close to 1 teaspoon each)

Icing Ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter (I used 1/2 cup of Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread)
  • 3 cups confectioner's sugar (I used powdered cane sugar)
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used rice milk)
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup (make sure it's the real stuff!)
  • (I also added in some nutmeg and cinnamon to the icing. The nutmeg was a must!)

Cupcake Directions:
  1. (It doesn't include it in the directions, but PREHEAT!)
  2. In a small bowl, combine bananas and lemon juice (or in my case the maple syrup).
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.
  4. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  5. Beat in egg (or egg replacer mixture) and vanilla.
  6. Add flour mixture and buttermilk (I just used rice milk) alternately while mixing.
  7. Beat in bananas and mix until well blended.
  8. Bake at 275 degrees F for one hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  9. After removing from oven, place in freezer for a half hour (not necessary).

Icing Directions:
  1. In a saucepan, melt butter at medium temperature until golden-brown (or you could just do this in a microwave).
  2. In a bowl, add butter to sugar, then add milk and syrup. Beat until smooth.
  3. Top with bananas and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

What I thought: These might be the best things I've ever made, seriously! My friends couldn't get enough of them. They were hesitant at first when they heard allergy-free but went back for seconds and thirds! So pretty much you should make these. BUT, the icing did appear to be quite runny. I think next time I'd probably use non-melted vegetable shortening to make it thicker. But still it was sooo good. Definitely add nutmeg to taste. And don't leave out the icing; it's the best part!

Enjoy!
-Michelle

P.S. Check out Cybele's website! She has tons of allergy free foods and has written two books, both of which I LOVE!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Mother, Teresa said...

Cupcake looks yummy! Congratulations on your chicken recipe! Very exciting!